Monday, March 25, 2013

"You have no power here! Begone, before somebody drops a house on you, too!"

-Glinda, The Good Witch of the North




The Wizard of Oz was a childhood favorite of mine.  I remember the first time I watched it, sitting on the living room couch, and being completely captured by the story.

(It was also the movie where my fear of tornadoes quickly evolved.  I would close my eyes every time the scene of the nasty twister would play on the television.  I'm not kidding...it scared the heck out of me!)

I don't know about you guys, but upon watching "Oz the Great and Powerful"...

I wished with all my might...

for a glimpse of a second...

that I could have been witness, in person, to Michelle Williams playing "Glinda the Good Witch".

I personally think she nailed the character.  P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y.

So much so that I would visit the cinema again to watch it.

Don't get me wrong.  There were several points in the film where my criticism crept in and needed to be pushed out of my mind so that I could enjoy the rest of the movie.  I tried to keep the moments of nagging, negative opinions from ruining this extension of my childhood favorite before it reached the credits.

In all that, Michelle carried (my thoughts) a strong and much needed point for the character of "Glinda"...

...which was humility.

Honesty. Bravery. Beauty in the desire of happiness and well being for her society of mismatched people.  Sure, the idea of these characteristics can be spoken moments from reading the script (uh hem...like Kristen Stewart fumbling through her "innocent" and "pure" delivery of Snow White...which was entirely unconvincing and disturbing).  They are however truly convincing when you stand firm in the virtue of humility.

(This is my favorite sort of fairy tale.  I will speak passionately about it.  Even if it makes me look like a silly day dreaming fool.)

The magic of The Wizard of Oz that I felt when just a child was delivered beautifully in Michelle Williams approach to this "good witch".  I really am not sure that this sense of humility and bravery could have been executed in such a way by anyone else.



All in all the film had it's quirks.  There were several times that I felt too old for it and other times that I just down right fell in love with it.
~~~
If you have seen this film, what were your thoughts regarding it's making and it's other 
members in how they brought their character to life? 







No comments: