Wednesday, April 17, 2013

“there is no shortage of fault to be found amid our stars” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars



“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” 




***Spoiler, possibly ;) ***

"Where did this book come from and why didn't I hear of it sooner?"  That's exactly what I was thinking when I got half way through it last Sunday.  I read this in just a day's time, finishing it with sopping wet eyes at 2am that night.  Jeez Lou-eeze!  What a story.

I tend to be overly skeptical when it comes to stories centered around teenagers.  Their "attitude" portrayed  is aggravating more times than not.  Sassing their parents seems pretty typical, so much so that I end up thinking "can't there be one kid who loves their mom?  In "The Fault in Our Stars" there is a common ground met between child and parent for the most part.  The understanding that their kid is suffering and close to their end along with the acknowledgement that the parents work to the bone to tend to the child's needs.

In "The Fault in Our Stars" we find a group of teens dealing with the meaning of life and death as they go through their day-to-days, living with cancer.  The insight given to their trauma, suffering, and hold on life while dealing with knowing that the end is near is quite startling.  It was definitely an eye opener and probably not the best to finish and then go right to sleep.  Oh the dreams I had that night! heh...

God was looking out for me on Saturday night too.  I downloaded the novel to my phone just before losing my cable and Internet!  It's not the longest read either...but the ending was sufficient for me to be able to "cope and move on".

Well, that is, after I bawled my eyes out for a few...


I give this book five out of five stars!


post signature

1 comment:

In Which We Start Anew said...

Reason #2 I already like you. lol It's not weird to base an entire friendship on shared literature likes, is it??